Monday 14 March 2016

Day 1

I'm planning to work through all my CDs (not in alphabetical order as it might get boring working through 15 R.E.M. albums without a break) and see what I make of some that haven't been played for more than 10 years. I'll include all of them, good and bad, and add notes if I have something particular to say.

If I manage to listen to 4 CDs a day and spend at least 5 days a week listening I should manage them all in 32 weeks - though I might skip a few (while I like a lot of SRV I can only just about manage one CD before I get bored so they'll either get skipped or have to be well spread out).

So, in no particular order:

CD#1 Kris Delmhorst - Songs For A Hurricane

I found this artist via a friend's Myspace page, back when that was the No 1 place for me to find new music. Not listened to this one for years, which is a shame as she's got a great voice and I liked it a lot.

CD#2 The Unthanks - Here's The Tender Coming. 

I really like the way their vocals intertwine, tonally and stylistically they're very distinct but complimentary. While I have other albums of theirs I think this is the only CD (the others will have to wait for Playing All My Downloaded Albums) - overall another enjoyable album.

CD#3 Lo-fi Lung - Heading for Those Trees/ Sit Down For A Day

Two four song EPs from a duo/band that were part of a gig I played (IIRC in Birmingham somewhere) great fun live, plus I got a packet of seeds which I still have somewhere. 


CD#4 Smashing Pumpkins - Gish 

There was a recent thread on a forum that asked for bands people would like if one thing was changed, and number of them included bands where they'd prefer a different singer, SP being one. For me the vocal is one of the stand out things about Smashing Pumpkins and they'd be less interesting without it.
Sadly I'm not in a position to listen to it at the optimum volume, some music is SO much better when it's rattling the windows :O) 


CD#5 Jonatha Brooke - The Works 

Another artist found via Steve Lawson (and not the last) who I like a lot, this is a collection of songs with lyrics chosen from the Woody Guthrie archive (Billy Bragg is another who's done this, but despite being a fan I've not heard it). For her part Jonatha does a great job and is accompanied by some great musicians including Joe Sample and Steve Gadd. 



No comments:

Post a Comment